People suffering from jaw pain, teeth grinding, or ringing in the ears may suffer for years without realizing that they have temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder. Unfortunately, the condition can produce a range of symptoms, just vague enough to point to a host of conditions. Because of this, patients are often unaware that TMJ treatment in Texas City, TX, will be offered by their dentist. In honor of TMJ Awareness Month, Dr. Stephen C. Hale has provided the most frequently asked questions about TMJ and TMJ treatment.
TMJ Facts from an Experienced Dentist
1. What causes TMJ? If you find yourself needing TMJ treatment, it’s likely that you have experienced one of the following issues:
· Teeth grinding
· A misaligned bite or worn teeth
· Whiplash or airbag deployment from an auto accident
· Severe stress
· Spine misalignment or poor posture
· Injury or trauma to the jaw or head
· Using your teeth as tools, to open or chew non-food objects
2. What are the symptoms? Your dentist will be able to determine whether you need TMJ treatment, but you can look for the following symptoms:
· Neck, face, or jaw pain
· Sensitive, sore, or worn down teeth
· Teeth clenching or grinding
· Ear ringing or congestion
· Lock jaw or limited mobility of the jaw
· Popping or clicking noises when the jaw moves
3. What types of TMJ treatment are available?
TMJ can appear quickly and finding the right TMJ treatment for you is critical to restore your overall health. The most common TMJ treatment is a custom dental night guard. Worn while sleeping, this soft plastic appliance keeps teeth from coming together to prevent clenching and grinding. In some cases, your doctor may also suggest warm compresses, anti-inflammatory medications, or a temporary soft-food diet.
Do you suffer from jaw pain? Find out if you need TMJ treatment in Texas City, TX. Call our office to schedule your consultation with Dr. Stephen C. Hale. TMJ can wreak havoc on your smile and your overall well-being. Do not wait too long to see a dentist and receive the treatment you need.
Currently rated by 0 people